I'm an economic idiot. I disliked studying economics in school and failed accounting twice in college. Since then, I assumed that I'm just not made to be in the business realm of things and try to be one of those surviving the rat race hoping that by some miracle, I could strike it rich. Wishful thinking...
This year, I felt compelled to start looking up into the subject of business and finance. For some reason, my appetite and thirst for financial knowledge opened up and I started to consume it bit by bit. What I found is that globally, people are talking about the 'incident that happened in 1971'. Anyone who has background knowledge in economics would know immediately what I'm talking about. It was perhaps the move that changed the world to become what it is today. It revolutionised money and for the last 40 years, the possibilities of becoming wealthy was endless for anyone smart enough to ride on it. However, the ride seems to be coming to an end.
In 1971, the US dollar was taken off the gold standard and money was no longer called money but currency. I'm no an economist so I won't attempt to explain what was before and after. What I do know is that the US dollar was without accountability. What I mean is that before 1971, the US dollar was valued against the gold value and after 1971, the US dollar was valued at whatever the banks say.
Since then, the word 'currency' is used because the money is 'current' to what it is valued at that time. Money became out of control and the value of 1 US dollar today is less than its value 40 years ago. Today, people are talking about millions and billions about a certain thing when its actual value is less today than what it was then. Currency today has created a false mask over money's actual value. Will the currencies of the world go back to the gold standard? I don't know. If it does, there would be a major shift in economic strengths and there would be many outcries all over the world. In order for our currency to go back to the gold standard, a catalyst would be needed to bridge the gap.
I can't help but compare this to God. It is said that when God created the world, He gave us His standards of living. Rights and wrongs. Justice and mercy. Failing to live up to His standards meant only death. Who then is able to live up to it since man is finite and God infinite? Does God take pleasure over our agony of striving to live to His standards? Does He smirk and grin whenever He sees us trying and fail? Is He a God that has a hand on a lightning bolt ready to strike at us?
Like the gold standard, aligning ourselves with God's standards is impossible since God demands righteous living without sin. Only by a catalyst would we be able to align ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment